March 31, 2011

My Life in the 60's - Part 2

The years I spent as a factotum of a Catholic priest in his various parochial assignments were a defining period of my life.  One, I was able to complete my secondary education despite the inconvenience of transferring to another school in the middle of the school year on account of the sudden transfer of my priest-guardian to another parish.  Another aspect was the fact that I made lots of friends and acquaintances which made my life very exciting and full of unforgettable episodes in a real-life situation. 

In a parish situated at the foot of the imposing Sierra Madre mountain ranges, I accompanied my priest-guardian to travel on horse-back to a far-flung barrio where he was requested to say Mass

for its fiesta. After the Mass, I met some classmates who were there to attend the fiesta celebration.  Our horse-back trip to said barrio and back to the  convent took more than four hours.

Upon graduation from high school and spending a semester of studies at a provincial college, I decided to try my luck in another milieu.  My mother asked for help from a relative who was appointed President of the Philippine National Bank by then President Marcos.  I had a brief and insignificant stint in an office in Quezon City which firm name I could not remember anymore.  

Thereafter, I was sent to work in an asbestos products manufacturing plant in Taguig, then a part of Rizal province, which firm was under receivership of the Philippine National Bank.  It was a tiring but worthwhile job. I stayed at the residence of my mother's cousin in Quezon City where I woke up at 4:00 AM to travel in time for the 8:00 AM start of duties at the plant.  At 5:00 PM, I left the plant to travel again bound for home. Arriving home at past 6:00 PM, sleep always beckoned after supper considering the hardship of travel and work.  Nevertheless, that was the beginning of a long and highly beneficial employment ending my life in the 60's.

0 comments:

Post a Comment