March 26, 2011

Life in the 50's - Concluding Part

I took and completed my elementary studies in my hometown.  My memories of those school remained indelible in my mind for it started on a high note and deteriorated to the lowest during my sixth grade. My Grade 1 was the most memorable as I was appointed Teacher's assistant who made sure that the class followed the rule Speak English Only.  Of course, I got the First Honors at the end of the school year.  Grade 2 was likewise very memorable when I got assigned to Section 1 composed of  First Honors pupils from all Grade 1 classes of the previous year. When I became the First Honors awardee, there was immense pride since I was considered the Best among the Best of Grade 2.


Grade 3 was the beginning of my deteriorating performance in school.  The death of the Catholic priest, my "Lolo Pari", who already retired from the priesthood to his own hometown, affected my studies emotionally and financially.  Many times I absented myself from class because I had no "baon".  Our family depended so much on my mother's buy and sell business of "pandan" bags and mats since my father was not fit to farming.  Sometimes, I was dragged to school whenever my mother learned of my frequent truancy.  The same happened to my Grades 4, 5 and 6 studies but I never got failing grades inasmuch as I always got high ratings in recitation and examination.  Nevertheless, I failed to belong to the Honor Rolls due to my frequent absences.  Sadly, I was forced to forego joining the Grade 6 graduation ceremonies because I had no proper clothes and shoes to wear. Unfortunately, I was not able to enroll for high school due to poverty.

On another note, a trip to Manila was an adventure of a lifetime for a provincial boy which could be similar to foreign travel nowadays.  My father brought me to such a trip to Manila.  My eyes darted everywhere as we climbed the Colgante Bridge in Quiapo and were agape at so many people and vehicles.  That sojourn to Manila was indeed a wonderful experience which I gleefully related to my playmates after we returned home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment