July 15, 2011

Writing, the Second Love of My Life - Second Part

After my successful stint in college on-the-spot essay contest, there was no other venue in the university where I could utilize since I did not bother to join the school organ. As a working student and family man, my time was occupied more in writing office memoranda and reports. However, in one of my regular trips going home to my family then in the province, I felt distressed at the sorry state of the diversion road used by public transport bypassing an ongoing major infrastructure under construction. Upon return to my city residence, I wrote a letter to the Editor of the Philippine Daily Express, then the major newspaper of national circulation during the Marcos dictatorship, deploring said dusty and rutty diversion road. A sense of pride and extreme satisfaction filled my being when my letter saw print in said newspaper as it was my letter to such publication and was published accordingly. Until now, I keep my newspaper clipping which has luckily survived "Ondoy's" wrath.

From thereon, in my employment with several engineering, my writing ability was further developed as my job advancement from simple clerical employee to handle supervisory
positions and eventually managerial level.  In recognition of my personal capabilities and worthy contribution to the company, I got elected to the Board of Directors and appointed as Corporate Secretary. Thus, in addition to memoranda and reports, I had to take down the proceedings of Board meetings and prepare the necessary minutes for dissemination and signatures of the members of the Board. Years of writing experience served me in good stead since even legal briefs and engineering reports were no big deal as the last firm I worked with promoted me to be the Asst. General Manager.

After the last firm I was working with was beset with intra-corporate dissension, I resigned along with other key personnel. Engaging in contracting for engineering services at then American bases in Subic Naval Base, Olongapo City, and Clark Air Bases, Angeles City, as well as other places in Metro Manila and Luzon, my writing ability were shifted to project proposals, field reports and preparation of technical reports in cooperation with geotechnical engineers enlisted in said engineering projects. Thereafter, joining another group engaged in the promotion and marketing of modern abattoir equipment and construction, I learned to write communications to foreign suppliers and project proposals to local government officials. Unfortunately, our efforts to consummate the final negotiations that would facilitate the construction of the first municipal modern abattoir suffered an insurmountable setback due to a politician's inordinate greed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment