April 13, 2011

READING: My First Love, Then, Now and Forever - THE FINALE

When I started living and working in what is now called Metro Manila, I eventually got the opportunity to add foreign magazines and pocketbooks to my local reading materials. However, due to limited funds, I contented myself buying second hand ones from several magazine stands along the main streets of Manila which I scoured during my free time.  

As my finances improved, I occasionally splurged on brand new copies. After I got married and raised my family, I lessened my purchases of foreign magazines and pocketbooks although newspapers remained my inseparable reading fare along with Tagalog

comics and magazines. Nevertheless, if there's some extra cash available, I could not help but buy some foreign magazines especially when I had to make some business trips inside then American bases, Clark Air Base and Subic Naval Base.

Indeed, reading has opened so many avenues leading to a vast universe of information and knowledge which has served in good stead in my journey to various facets of life. Where before I walked with Kulafu. Dyesebel and Darna, I got acquainted with Don Quixote de la Mancha, Julius Caesar and Cleopatra among the few personalities in literature and history.

I learned likewise to hobnob with William Shakespeare, whose "Julius Caesar" was my favorite source of a declamation piece in high school.  "No man is an island" is a favorite quote from John Doone as well as Ralph Waldo Emerson's "If eyes were made for seeing, then beauty is its own excuse for being,"  The latter quote is my eternal justification for unfailing search for the exquisite feminine form wherever I find myself roving around with or without my wife. With the advent of the Internet, reading is now highly easy and enjoyable, dispensing with the cumbersome trip to the nearest bookstore or magazine stand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment