April 4, 2011

How Did I React During Past Earthquakes?

In the aftermath of Japan's Magnitude (M) 9.0 earthquake and with various incidents of earthquakes of lesser magnitudes occurring in various countries around us and even in several locations in our country, we are now practically bombarded with incessant admonitions in the tri-media of necessary precautionary measures in the event the predicted M7.2 earthquake hits the Marikina West Valley Fault.

A prediction of an earthquake of such magnitude was the result of the comprehensive study made by the JICA in cooperation with the MMDA in 2004. However, said JICA studies were reportedly ignored and trashed to the dustbin by the government without any explanation or

justification whatsoever. Now, with the far reaching repercussions of that calamitous Japan earthquake, the government and the private sector have joined forces to educate the public on what steps to take in anticipation of the predicted movement of the Marikina West Valley Fault.

Looking back to the years where earthquakes of various magnitudes happened in certain places in our country, I would state that God was good enough to spare me from suffering any harm during earthquakes specifically here in Greater Manila Area, later on called Metropolitan Manila during the time of President Ferdinand Marcos.  Sometime in 1969, in my aunt's house in Quezon City, I suddenly felt shaking in my seat at the dining-kitchen area. Seeing the refrigerator shaking vigorously, I darted from my seat to hold it lest it toppled down.  

Later on, I learned from the news that Ruby Tower collapsed during that earthquake. Twice, I was caught during an earthquake in a moviehouse in the city of Manila as I loved to see the movies alone being still single then.  Both times, I stayed in my seat looking up to watch for some falling objects while other moviegoers scampered around me.  The 70's and 80's passed but I could not remember any earthquake during those times. 

When the 1991 earthquake struck Baguio City and Pangasinan, my family and three sons were then living in a rented house in Cubao, Quezon City.  We felt the walls slightly shaking but nothing serious happened.  Having worked many years in engineering firms and read some technical books, I knew that Quezon City generally rests on solid ground, the same with the Makati Commercial District where most of the tall buildings swayed due to their floating foundations suffering only cracked glass windows.  Here in my present rented apartment in Marikina City, we felt slight shaking movements during several earthquakes of lesser magnitudes.  The apartment building was designed and constructed well thus, I felt confident of its structural integrity.

Considering the widespread warnings and call for necessary safety precautions coming from several government agencies, I strongly believe that all residents take heed and do whatever is necessary.  I know very well that Marikina City stands on soft strata unlike Quezon City and Makati.  Forewarned is forearmed!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging arena. I wish you success. You have got a good, clean writing style. Hope you have seen things around at my blog.

    ReplyDelete