April 10, 2011

READING, My First Love, Then, Now and Forever

I consider reading my undying first love then, now and forever.  I started reading early in my elementary school years as my Grade One teacher appointed me as the Class Monitor to lead my classmates during reading sessions. Aside from school books, I took a liking to my uncles' collection of Tagalog comics and magazines such as Pilipino Komiks, Tagalog Klasiks, Hiwaga Komiks, Liwayway and Bulaklak Magasin. 

I can still remember vividly Kulafu, the local version of Tarzan, Dyesebel, a mermaid, Darna and Captain Barbell, based on Captain Marvel. Of course, the last three characters have been immortalized in the movies running into several versions with various actors/actresses achieving fame in the celluloid world. Incidentally, even my wife and kids took up my Tagalog comics and magazines reading hobby when we resided at Cubao in mid-70's as well as newspapers.

About newspapers, I was not able to read them due to unavailability in our small town during my elementary school years. There was a time when a relative was reading a Tagalog tabloid with a naughty name "Tiktik". After he finished reading, he left in on a table. Curious, I picked it up. Immediately, it was taken away telling me that it was not proper for me to read.

From thereon, I was never able to know the tabloid's contents. Interestingly, nowadays, a tabloid of the same name exists which I can never tell if it's the same tabloid of my childhood.

At the seminary, I found the library a rich source of reading materials beyond my reach back home. Adventurous as I was and eager to find some books new to my eyes, I dared to sneak to the library in the middle of the night. Armed with a flashlight, I devoured quickly the contents of the book that caught my fancy oftentimes ware of the roving priest who might catch me red-handed. 

Still, my hunger for reading was not fully satisfied since our choice for reading materials was strictly monitored by the priests. However, when I became a factotum of our parish priest, a wider horizon for more and better reading materials was within my reach. His subscription of English daily newspapers and weekly magazines provided with a rich trove of learning. In all his different parishes of assignment where I completed likewise my secondary education, books, newspapers and magazines were immense sources of knowledge that more than satisfied my endless hunger for reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment