June 16, 2011

Rizal, the Hero of my Yesteryears

The Philippines will celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Dr. Jose Rizal, our National Hero on June 19, 2011. The national government has fittingly lined up several activities in recognition of this important date in our history. More so with my home province, Laguna, particularly Calamba City, where Rizal was born, grandiose celebrations are reportedly being feverishly prepared to commemorate this day. Indeed, this news certainly brings back some memories of my younger years when I loved to read history books, magazines and newspapers, devouring every item which caught my fancy. Then, I was more interested in Rizal's life and achievements though Bonifacio, Aguinaldo, Mabini and other heroes were likewise objects of my reading habits.


At the seminary, I tried to look for copies of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo at the library without success. Of course, it was understandable since that time those 2 books of Rizal were banned as reading materials in both public and private schools. Nevertheless, my intense desire to read these books could not be denied as I found them in the library of the school where I took my college studies. Of the 2 books, I found "Noli" highly riveting with its varied characters and thought-provoking portrayal of the prevailing oppression of the Filipinos during the Spanish period. Despite my Catholic upbringing, I did not agree to the government's ban of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo among students' reading preference then.

Rizal died so young, yet, he had accomplished so much in life and in death to inspire his countrymen in striving and working successfully for the country's liberation from the Spaniards. In my senior years, I wish to continue rendering some tiny deeds for anybody in need or the community I live in through some advocacy I have embraced for some time now. I know there's a bit of Rizal in every Filipino to do his part for the sake of our beloved country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment