May 21, 2011

What's in a Name?

What is in a name?  I remember reading somewhere that some foreigners have found it amusing and peculiar Filipinos' penchant of giving their children names which connote various and different meanings. Come to think of it, I grew up very fond and proud of my name, William, since many world famous persons bear said name. Among them, I like William Shakespeare most as I happened to read some of his writings such as "Julius Caesar", "Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Hamlet". When I was still in my hometown and staying at the parish convent as a factotum, I looked over my baptismal record and I found out that my listed name is Guillermo and not William. However, as my school records had William as my name, I did not bother to change it. Of course, even at my senior years, I enjoy the hilarious feeling of having various nicknames such as Boy, Willy, Bill and Willyboy.

Going back to Filipinos' distinct, queer and sometimes confusing name-giving, many parents name their kids after flowers and what have you. Thus, Rose seems to be the overwhelming favorite female appellation derived from the name of a flower with Mary as the run-away choice name from saints. For males, John and Joseph or the Filipino version seem to predominate. On the other hand, few parents name their kids Jesus out of deep reverence for the Son of God. Why? As parents tend to harshly reprimand their erring sons, it would be a sign of great disrespect for the Creator to utter harsh words against a son named Jesus.


Filipinos endow their children with names especially of saints hoping that their saintly traits will influence their growing life. Unfortunately, real-life situations oftentimes unfold the opposite of such lofty wishes. In my hometown, I have a maternal cousin named "Bayani" or hero in English who's got a reputation of a heel. But, a boyhood friend's name which is "Generoso" or generous in English truly lives to its meaning as he was likewise a factotum of our parish priest. Of course, I once met a reprehensible fellow who corrupted this word as he's indeed generous with other people's money by diverting it into his own pockets. 

In other circumstances, I know some people whose legal family names convey some embarrassing connotations that they sought legal action to amend it. In our province, a family name of "Bagonggahasa" or newly raped in English was reportedly changed legally to "Bagonghasa" or newly sharpened in English. 

On the lighter side, I read somewhere about two pupils who were penalized for misdemeanor in class to write their names one hundred times. One boy cried in loud protest about the punishment. Why? While the other boy was named Juan Santos, the protesting boy's name was Jose Maria Ferdinand Magellan Villanueva. 

Indeed, no matter how parents exercise extreme care in selecting their children's names, fates may dictate contrary to their expectations.  Life is what they will make of it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment